WBS has a history dating back to 1873. We are proud to have been an important contributor to the growth of the Wairarapa for the past 130 years.
WBS is the product of the 1980 amalgamation of three Wairarapa-based building societies. The Permanent Investment and Loan Association of Wairarapa (established in Greytown in 1873), the Tararua Permanent Building Society and the North Wairarapa Permanent Building and Investment Society (both established in the 1930s). The latter having merged in 1960 with the Masterton Permanent Investment and Building Society (established in 1876)
From those early beginnings WBS has continued to go from strength to strength. Look at our latest financial results and you will see that we have become a substantial enterprise.
It has always been part of our philosophy to actively support the community that supports us. We achieve this through sponsoring many local organisations and by returning over 80% of our income to the local community, either by way of interest, salaries and wages or in the goods and services we purchase.